Vital to achieving the goal of Swach Bharat is the need to engage the public and improve their level of participation.
Following are the driving forces that help people recycle:
- General awareness and understanding
- Beliefs, attitudes and behaviours
- What people feel about service provision
- Reinforcements that recycling provides people
- The information sources and agents that encourage recycling
There is a misconception that lack of concern for the environment generally is the reason for not recycling. However, the real reason is the mistrust of the residents regarding what happens to the waste after it is collected. The presence of good recycling facilities and services can have a dramatic impact on the recycling behavior of masses.
The probable solution is to get the service right, make it convenient and ease, get the facilities in place and then tell the residents about it and often.